Sunday 8 April 2018

Sunday WW1 Remembered...





Whenever I visit the Imperial War Museum North I take time to visit the shop, carefully browsing the shelves for books and memorabilia that highlight WW1. On my most recent visit I came across this quirky little book which is packed full of interesting snippets about the war.

World War One

A Very Peculiar History

by

Jim Pipe

11391670
Book House
2017
192 pages

I've enjoyed flipping through this book, discovering little bits and pieces about the war that I didn't already know. I especially enjoyed reading a section towards the end of the book which mentions famous ex-soldiers, and considers what the twentieth century would have been like if these men hadn't survived their experience of WW1:

Humphrey Bogart 
Bela Lugosi 
Walt Disney 
George Braque
Henry Moore 
Ernest Hemingway 
F Scott Fitzgerald 
A A Milne 
C S Lewis 
J R R Tolkien 
Walter Gropius 
Winston Churchill 
Charles De Gaulle 
Harry S Trueman 
Benito Mussolini
Adolf Hitler

and Angelo Roncalli, later Pope John XXIII



~****~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.