Wednesday 13 May 2015

Review ~ The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson

16170250
Choc Lit
2014

When Grace Buchanan’s mother, Rosamund, dies, she leaves a complicated trail of written instructions, in the forms of letters, for Grace to follow. The trail, will take Grace to places that were important to Rosamund, and will allow Grace a glimpse of the woman her mother used to be, before motherhood and responsibilities claimed her attention. Accompanying Grace on this trip is, war weary Alasdair Finn, a sexy marine with more than enough angst of his own to worry about. Gradually, as the story is uncovered, we learn more about all three characters and watch them develop into people with hopes and dreams of their own.  

The story is really lovely; it unfolds slowly and gives the reader enough time to bond emotionally with the characters, so that they become realistic. I started to care for both Grace and Finn and hoped that as the story progressed, they would both find some sort of resolution.


On one level it’s a beautifully written love story, but it’s also a story about loss and trauma and the way in which people can sometimes lose direction, until reminders force them to look at life and love in a totally different way.


I was engrossed in the story from the beginning, and I am sure that readers of romantic fiction will be equally engrossed in The Wedding Cake Tree.




My thanks to the kind folks at Choc Lit for sharing this book with me and to the author for writing the story so beautifully.








2 comments:

  1. I've just finished this book myself and agree with everything that's being said here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henriette for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. I'm so glad you enjoyed this lovely book as much as I did :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.