Wednesday 16 September 2015

Review ~ Fifteen Postcards by Kirsten McKenzie

25584133
Accent Press
2015


When Sarah Lester's mother and father mysteriously disappear in separate incidents, she is left with a sense of devastating grief, not just from the loss of her beloved parents, but also from the unexplained mystery which surrounds their disappearance. Being solely responsible for running The Old Curiosity Shop, the family's aptly named antiques shop, means that, Sarah is surrounded by antiquities,which she cares for with a loving touch. When she is given the opportunity to take over some of the antique contents of a house estate, she is unprepared for the effect that some of the artifacts, particularly a set of fifteen antique postcards, will have on her life.

What then follows is a well written historical time slip novel which moves effortlessly between time frames in a story which is filled with vivid descriptions of time and place, and beautifully authentic of both speech and character. I think the author has done a commendable job in bringing the story to life and it’s obvious that she has used extensive historical research to ensure that the story always feels authentic and that’s not an easy feat to pull off, particularly with time slip novels which can sometimes feel a little bit clumsy. Overall, the story evolved really nicely, there is enough going on in the novel to maintain interest and the ending of the story lends itself very nicely to a sequel.I also need to add that the cover is really striking and compliments the story beautifully.

My thoughts are that Fifteen Postcards is a good debut novel and I’m sure the author will continue to go from strength to strength. 



My thanks to the author for sharing her novel with me.



Kirsten  McKenzie


Visit Kirsten's website

Follow her on Twitter @kiwimrsmac


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review. I have loved the honest reviews you post regularly, and have added to my growing TBR pile through your recommendations! So I am very grateful that you agreed to review my book 'Fifteen Postcards'. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Kirsten - thanks for a great story .

      Jaffa and I are looking forward already to the sequel :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.