Wednesday 2 July 2014

Song of the Flower ~ Khalil Gibran




I am a kind word uttered and repeated 

By the voice of Nature; 
I am a star fallen from the 
Blue tent upon the green carpet. 
I am the daughter of the elements 
With whom Winter conceived; 
To whom Spring gave birth; I was 
Reared in the lap of Summer and I 
Slept in the bed of Autumn. 



At dawn I unite with the breeze 
To announce the coming of light; 
At eventide I join the birds 
In bidding the light farewell. 






The plains are decorated with 
My beautiful colors, and the air 
Is scented with my fragrance. 




As I embrace Slumber the eyes of 
Night watch over me, and as I 
Awaken I stare at the sun, which is 
The only eye of the day. 




I drink dew for wine, and hearken to 
The voices of the birds, and dance 
To the rhythmic swaying of the grass. 




I am the lover's gift; I am the wedding wreath; 
I am the memory of a moment of happiness; 
I am the last gift of the living to the dead; 
I am a part of joy and a part of sorrow. 





But I look up high to see only the light, 
And never look down to see my shadow. 
This is wisdom which man must learn



4 comments:

  1. Oh Josie! you got me there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's a beautiful poem Susan and very appropriate for today. You know why xx

      Delete
  2. That is so beautiful, Josie, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary- I agree that it is a very beautiful poem and one of my favourites. Khalil Gibran was a very gifted poet and philosopher. I enjoy reading his work.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.