Thursday 9 May 2013

Samantha Young ~ Author Spotlight


I am delighted to welcome





Photograph by kind permission of the author

author

 of 




Published  7 May 2013
Penguin



Samantha, congratulations of the publication of Down London Road.


How would you describe Down London Road to a reader who hasn't read any of your books before?

Down London Road is down to earth, sexy, funny, relatable and hot. It's the story of a young woman who takes care of her family, and one of the ways she does this is to date men who have money. That is until she meets Cameron MacCabe, an opinionated tattooed bartender who takes the time to show her that there is so much more to her than just a pretty face. It's a story about loyalty, self-discovery, friendship, passion and family.



Do you outline the plot first, or do you let the story go wherever it takes you?


I'm a plotter, definitely a plotter. I wish I could just sit down and start tapping away at the keyboard but I have to create character profiles and chapter summaries before I feel comfortable enough to start the novel.


Johanna Walker is a strong and feisty heroine, and yet has a hidden vulnerability – where did you find the inspiration for Johanna’s character?


When I decided to write a second book in this series I zeroed in on Jo as the main character because she's unlike any heroine I've written before. I wasn't inspired by any one thing or person; I was just inspired by the challenge of her character development because she's pretty complex.



Down London Road is the second book in the On Dublin Street series – have you any plans to continue the story from the point of view of some of the other characters in the books?


I signed a deal with NAL (Penguin) for a third book in the On Dublin Street series, and although I'm keeping quiet for now on who the main characters are, you'll definitely be seeing familiar faces in the third book.



Inspired by Club 39 the club where Johanna works – if you could have a cocktail named after you – what would it be, and why?

Probably a mojito. It's a really refreshing cocktail and I'd like people to think that about me as an author—a refreshing cocktail! 



You are a gifted story teller – have you been inspired in your writing by any particular era, author or book?


Thank you! I so appreciate that.

As for inspiration, I'm inspired by many things but mostly by music, history, and the people around me.



***


 Samantha ~ thank you so much for taking the time to visit jaffareadstoo.
We have loved reading all about Down London Road, and wish you continued success
with your writing career.


***

My Review


Johanna Walker is a troubled soul; she’s fiercely protective of her younger brother, Cole and will do anything she can to provide a stable and loving home for him, including deliberately choosing her romantic attachments to men who can offer her a high degree of stability and material comfort. When she meets the deliciously handsome Cameron, Johanna is determined to fight against the undeniable attraction she feels for him. What then follows is the story of Johanna and Cameron’s feisty relationship, which abounds with sexual tension and romantic skulduggery.

Down London Road reads very easily, the plot is steady and well written and whilst it focuses mainly on the ‘will they, won’t they’ aspect of Johanna and Cameron’s relationship, the inclusion of well loved characters from On Dublin Street adds a nice blend of continuity and offers a different perspective on Johanna’s character and about what motivates her to act in the way she does.

I think that the author has got the balance of story and sexual content levelled just right, as neither one attempts to outshine the other. The sexual content is explicit but fits in with both the story and the characters, so you never feel like you are reading sexual activity just for the sake of filling up space. I felt a real connection with the characters, and loved Johanna’s protectiveness towards her younger brother – oh yes, and Cameron is pretty easy to read about too!

Overall, a great read and a worthy follow up to Down London Road. Can’t wait for the next book!



My thanks to Katie Sheldrake at Penguin for my review copy of this book.

                                                                    www.penguin.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.