Saturday 11 May 2013

Review ~ The Offering by Angela Hunt

The Offering: A Novel

May 14th 2013 by Howard Books


To maintain financial security for her family, Amanda takes the momentous decision to carry a child for a childless couple in return for money. The decision to become a surrogacy is not taken lightly, and the emotional conflict is all too easy to imagine, as Amanda loves children, and would like a larger family of her own. As the pregnancy progresses, predictably the surrogacy comes with emotional baggage, and Amanda, struggling with devastating personal tragedy, has to make some tough choices.



Whilst the emotive subject matter of the story is interesting enough, I found that I was a little bored with the writing style and despite a certain amount of sympathy for the main characters , I didn’t fully engage with the story as much as I would have liked. It’s not that the writing is bad or the story unsettling, it’s just that I was indifferent to the outcome and didn’t really care enough about the conclusion.



But that’s just my own personal opinion, and I’m sure that the author’s fans will find much to enjoy in the book.

3***


Thanks to NetGalley and Howard Books for the opportunity to read an ecopy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.