Sunday 9 October 2022

🍴Sunday Brunch with Jaffareadstoo ~ Daphne Denley



On this quiet Sunday morning why don't you put the kettle on, make your favourite breakfast and settle down for Sunday Brunch with Jaffareadstoo







I'm delighted to welcome Daphne Denley to Sunday Brunch






Daphne, welcome to Jaffareadstoo. What favourite food are you bringing to Sunday brunch?

Boiled eggs with toast soldiers – yum!


Would you like a pot of English breakfast tea, a strong Americano, or a glass of Bucks Fizz?

Definitely English Breakfast or Assam Tea.


Where shall we eat brunch – around the kitchen table, in the formal dining room, or outside on the patio?

Outside on the patio if sunny or the kitchen if wet.


Shall we have music playing in the background, and if so do you have a favourite piece of music?

If outside, just the birds, bees, lawnmowers and workers sounds are good.

If inside then I think a bit of “Easy” (like Sunday morning), by The Commodores would be very fitting.


Which of your literary heroes (dead or alive) are joining us for Sunday Brunch today?

Laurie Lee. Lived in Slad, Stroud – not too far from me. We can discuss our favourite walks and a bit of poetry.


Which favourite book will you bring to Sunday Brunch?

Jane Eyre. One strong and inspirational lady.


Penguin Classics
2003



When you are writing do you still find time to read for pleasure? And is there a book you would like to read but haven’t had time for …yet!

The Diary of Anne Frank. Just can’t believe I haven’t read yet. Saying this now, I really do need to make time.


Penguin Classics
2019



Where do you find the inspiration for your novels?

Well, not quite at novel status as yet. However, poetry is a way of life for me. The inspiration is life itself and the prospect of the afterlife too. Every thing, person, feeling, smell, sight, sound and emotion can spark the will to write.


Have you a favourite place to settle down to write and do you find it easier to write in winter or summer?

My writing is generally not planned. I get a thought and could be driving the car. I then repeat in my head until I can pull over and scribble down. I could be working, I could be in between dreams in bed. I have been known to wake myself up at that stage and write 3 or 4 poems off the cuff. It could be an emotional or sad situation, like the queen’s funeral that I need to deal with, so feelings and thoughts are put to paper in that instant.

However, if someone gives me a subject. Although I won’t sit and think or put time aside. The thoughts of the subject will be rattling around in my head. When I get a good inspiration or line, I will then normally write the poem straight off.

I find it hard to go back and edit my work afterwards, apart from the grammar. As then if it is messed with, it is not totally true to the moment and my initial, reactive and instinctive thoughts, of which are normally the best.


When writing to a deadline are you easily distracted and if so how do you bring back focus on your writing?

Luckily, deadlines are not forced upon me so far. It would then be writing for the sake of it, rather than when it is felt.

Writing is a way for me to express an emotion and sometimes therapy. Like talking to a close friend, I can share my innermost feelings, but with poetry can reach a far bigger audience.

It’s nice when people recognise and familiarise with what you see, believe and experience or have shared past situations. I then also feel like I've helped others as well as myself.

My first book of poetry, Moments, was a truly emotional collection of poetry. Directly from the heart, head and soul. So many people related to their own experiences when reading and I couldn’t have ever imagined the amazing response I received.

My work isn’t seasonal, as in winter or summer. It is all year round. However, I tend to write more when I am moved by something or we are at the peak or extreme of a situation. So easier when we have say for instance a very hard winter's day – or someone has upset me!


Give us four essential items that a writer needs?

For me – Pen, paper, smart-phone (with notes section and access to an online dictionary/thesaurus) and book or folder to keep all work together.


What can you tell us about your latest novel or your current work in progress?

Some of my poems have been included in a marvellous new collection of short stories and poetry, published by Crumps Barn Studio.

Spooky Ambiguous, is full of scary and intriguing writing, guaranteed to make you think, stand the hairs up on your arms and give shivers down your spine. This fabulous book of ghosts, ghouls, vampires, zombies, witches and werewolves is out in perfect timing before Halloween and those Autumnal October days.



Crumps Barn Studio
2022



Work from 15 talented authors from around the UK, with complimentary lustrations throughout, has been selected to offer the perfect collection for the daring readers.

I found the subject of Halloween so exciting. It took me back to my youth and my thoughts into dark places, I seldom dare not enter.

I was over the moon to have my poetry included.

Having read everyone’s work and travelled from front to back. I think the book reads very well.

This book aside, currently, I continue to creatively write poems as the mood or situations arise. The subject matter is very diverse and anything goes.

I hope to have enough soon to put a new collection together, so please watch this space 😊



Bumble



Lastly, I want to say thank you to everyone, for being there, reading and commenting on my work. This encourages me to continue writing, which gives me so much pleasure.

Huge thanks to Jaffareadstoo, for giving me this platform to share with all you wonderful readers, reviewers, bloggers, authors and poets. It has been great fun and an honour to be included in this weeks fab Sunday Brunch Writers Questions on the blog.

Thank you – Daphne x



Daphne, where can we follow you on social media? 


Twitter @daphnedenley 




Thank you for taking part in Sunday Brunch with Jaffareadstoo.


Follow us on Twitter @jaffareadstoo #SundayBrunchWithJaffareadstoo




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.