Sunday 14 February 2016

Sunday WW1 Remembered...




World War 1 Silk Postcards for Valentine Sunday



Silk embroidered greetings cards first became popular in the early twentieth century when they appeared for the first time at the Great Exhibition of 1900.

However, it was during the years of the First World War that postcards sent by soldiers to their mothers, sisters and sweethearts became very popular. 

Created by the clever embroiderers of France and Belgium the cards were created from small scraps of silk and lace and used as souvenirs. Inevitably, as demand for the cards grew, manufacturing was moved to Paris factories where it is estimated that over 10 million silk embroidered postcards were produced.The postcards were cheaply made and sold for just a few francs.


The postcards, with their cheery pictures of birds and flowers were sent home to cheer the ones left behind, giving no clue to the horror that was being experienced by the soldiers on the Western Front.



©Digital Images




These photographs and silk postcard belong to our family archive.

The WW1 Silk was sent home by my husband's grandfather, Sam, when he spent time 

in  Poperinghe. 


The little card insert simply states " Best Kiss"



The colours of the silk are as vibrant as the day they were stitched and act as a poignant

 reminder that we should cherish our loved ones, wherever they may be.



My best kiss to you all on Valentine's Day





~***~


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad we have this reminder of your grandad, Sam ..

      Delete
  2. I agree with John! Lovely mementoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Josie. I had a great aunt whose only child, a boy, was killed as a pilot in WW1. I remember as a 10-11 year old finding the three telegrams
    1. missing presumed dead.
    2. body found.
    3. body being returned home.

    I never spoke to her about it, I just put the telegrams back where I found them, and when she died, the rented house was emptied by a house clearer and that was that. He was my Dad's cousin, and as children they were great pals. Poor Aunt Blanche - like many others, she lost her only child and I always remember Laurie, although I never knew him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your family memories Susan. What a sad story...

      Delete
  4. My Mum had a huge collection of silk postcards from the War years, she inherited them from my Dad's family. I think she sold them when they moved to the bungalow, but I remember looking through them. Lovely post Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. WW1 Silk postcards are still very collectable...I'd love to find a Valentine card...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.