Friday 25 October 2013

Book Beginnings on Fridays....





Hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays as stated by the host was started:

"to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires."

You can share on Google + and social media , please post using the hash tag #BookBeginnings and there's also a Mr Linky on the host's blog.



 Book Beginnings : If You Could See What I See by Cathy Lamb


If You Could See What I See 
Published July 2013
Kensington


Book Blurb from Goodreads.

For decades, the women in Meggie O’Rourke’s family have run Lace, Satin, and Baubles, a lingerie business that specializes in creations as exquisitely pretty as they are practical. The dynamic in Meggie’s family, however, is perpetually dysfunctional. In fact, if Meggie weren’t being summoned back to Portland, Oregon, by her grandmother, she’d be inclined to stay away all together.  

***

Black.
 That’s what he was wearing when it happened. 
I never wear black anymore. 
He ended up wearing red, too. 
That’s what killed my soul. 
The red. 
He haunts me. He stalks me. 
For over a year I have tried to outrun him. 
It hasn’t worked. 
My name is Meggie. 
I live in a tree house.


The premise of the story doesn't seem to live up to the opening of this book, but as with all Cathy Lamb stories there is usually more going on.....Meggie is a mystery, I'm looking forward to finding out why she is so haunted by this image..........

Thanks for visiting ~ please share your thoughts .....

10 comments:

  1. What a powerful beginning, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great beginning, isn't it? Thanks for visiting !

      Delete
  2. Because of the way the beginning is structured, I wondered if this might be a book of poetry! Thank you for posting the synopsis too. I'm curious about the "dynamic in Meggie's family" and since I've been to Portland, Oregon, I would enjoy reading a book that takes place in that setting.
    Here's my Friday56/Book Beginnings post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound rather poetic, doesn't it.? The book has some heavy stuff going on it ...I guess if you know the area you would be interested in the story !

      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  3. What a shame that it does not live up to opening. I loved the start. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The start is really good and the book has some flashes of brilliance....overall, its a nice story :)

      Thanks for visiting JC.

      Delete
  4. Nice beginning...thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you Elizabeth - thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  5. Cathy Lamb is a Portland author I only recently came across. I need to read more of her books.

    Thanks for joining in on Book Beginnings on Fridays!

    Rose City Reader now has a Facebook page. I plan to post about new and favorite books, book events, and other bookish tidbits, as well as link to blog posts.

    I'd love a "Like" on the page, if you are so inclined: https://www.facebook.com/RoseCityReader

    And I am happy to Like you back if you have a blog or professional Facebook page, so please get me a link and I will find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gilion - thanks for stopping by. I've enjoyed several of Cathy Lamb's books, they are all good reads !

      Good luck with your Facebook page - Jaffa and I will visit soon :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.