Thursday 2 November 2017

The Author in my spotlight is ...Silvia Forrester


I am delighted to introduce debut author


Silvia Forrester





Hi Silvia, a warm welcome to Jaffareadstoo. Tell us a little about yourself and what got you started as an author?

I’ve always loved writing. English language – and art – were my favourite subjects at school. After I left, I never stopped writing – angst-ridden diaries, bad poetry, love letters (yes, back in the dark ages, before the internet was invented).


Where did you get the first flash of inspiration for your novel, Your Move?

September
2017

 
I’d always tended to read literary fiction, but started reading some ‘chick lit’ novels, and was hooked. Because I’d enjoyed reading them so much, I felt inspired to try writing one. Love and laughter are two of the best things in life, so what’s not to like about a romantic comedy?


What can you tell us about the story without revealing too much?

The central characters – Gemma and Pandora – are very different, almost polar opposites. As they both embark on their own amorous adventures – Gemma’s put her love life on the back burner in favour of her career and Pandora is determined to snag a millionaire – the two women’s lives begin to criss-cross. Your Move follows their burgeoning friendship, as well as their romantic entanglements.


Whilst you are writing you must live with your characters. How do you feel about them when the book is finished? Are they what you expected them to be?


When the book was finished, both the central characters had really grown and changed as people – that’s what made them interesting to write, and – hopefully – makes them interesting to read. Gemma begins the book thinking of herself as Little Miss Sensible, while Pandora ruthlessly uses her feminine charms to get what she wants. Needless to say, love has a few lessons to teach both of them.


How do you plan your writing, are you a plotter, or a see where it goes kind of writer?

I’m definitely not a plotter. I used to write in a big disorganised jumble and would then have to spend an age beating everything into a coherent shape. Your Move was written in chronological order, with chapters alternating between the two characters. This was much easier structurally, but I still didn’t do any major plotting. I enjoy seeing how characters develop and where they take me – it would be dull if it was predictable.


Do you have a writing routine and where do you do your best thinking?

I don’t really have a set routine – it really depends what else is happening in life – work, teaching, marking, family. Concretely thinking about stories never really helps me to write them. In fact, I actively try not to think beyond the point I’m actually writing in a novel because it dissipates inspiration and motivation – what’s the point of writing it all down if it’s already clear in my mind? Part of the joy and fun of writing – for me – is seeing where it goes, and letting characters and events veer off in unexpected and entertaining places.


How can readers find out more about you and your work?




Twitter @SilviaForrester




Huge thanks to Silvia for being my author in the spotlight today.
Jaffa and I wish you continued success with your writing.


~****~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.