Friday 13 March 2015

Review ~ Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge

17860826
Penguin
May 2014






‘.....when one of you kills the other, the survivor will walk free’.... 


I'm rather late to the party with this one , however, my enthusiasm for the story is no less dimmed for my review not hitting the blog in the immediate aftermath of its publication.

I knew, as soon as I started to read, that I would be quickly hooked on the story and before too long I became riveted in a very clever psychological thriller which really doesn't hold back on horror, and as the raw terror of its narrative starts to crank up the tension , you quickly become engulfed in a set of nightmare scenarios which become more and more sinister as the story progresses.

I enjoyed getting to know a new team of detectives and D I Helen Grace who heads up the investigative team is a complicated protagonist, she's very much a woman in a man's world having risen through the police ranks with a speed that gets her male colleagues backs up, but she proves to be a worthy adversary despite being hindered by two of her colleagues who have more than enough angst between them.

This isn't a story for the faint hearted as some of the crimes committed are described in graphic detail, which whilst sickening at times does allow a macabre glimpse into the mind of a very twisted serial killer.

I enjoyed the hidden twists and turns in the narrative. The red herrings and the exposed secrets are well thought out and the whole of the novel is very cleverly contrived and commendably written by a major new talent in crime writing.



Since Eeny Meeny was published M J Arlidge has written two further books in the D I Helen Grace series:


Liar Liar expected in September 2015






~***~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.