Monday 23 March 2015

Bloggers on the Blog...Book Shelf Fantasies




Bloggers on the blog



This weekly feature showcases some of the best of the book blogging community. 

These are the unsung heroes who are constantly on the look out for new and exciting books 

and who give so generously of their time ,energy and expertise.



I am delighted to welcome


Lisa 





from 

the excellent blog

Bookshelf Fantasies







Lisa ~ welcome to Jaffareadstoo



What makes you want to blog about books?

I spend a lot of time reading books, talking about books, and thinking about books, and I finally realized that blogging might be a really good outlet for me. Blogging about books gives me a chance to share my thoughts, have some terrific discussions with other bloggers and booklovers, and as an added bonus, has introduced me to a wonderful community of book-obsessed bloggers!


What type of book makes you happy?

I read all sorts of genres, and I’m happiest when I alternate rather than reading only one type of book. That said, I typically enjoy books with well-drawn characters, unusual settings, and intense relationships. I love historical fiction, but also love science fiction and fantasy, contemporary drama, and great children’s literature. Books with strong, smart women leading the way make me especially happy.


Which book have you recommended the most?

I recommend the Outlander series a lot. Some other books I find myself recommending over and over again include Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, I Shall Be Near To You by Erin Lindsay McCabe, The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, and The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. The series I most often recommend are Harry Potter, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files and Codex Alera series, and the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.


Which is the best book you received as a gift?

My daughter always gives me the best book gifts! Last year, she gave me a copy of the graphic novel of A Wrinkle in Time, which was perfect in so many ways – not least of which being that we enjoyed the original book together when she was young.


Which book has sent a shiver down your spine? 

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian was unexpectedly scary! Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick was a different sort of shivery read, and Harrowgate by Kate Maruyama was also good for a chill.


How many books do you have, as yet unread, on your book shelves?

Oh gosh, probably way more than I think! If I had to guess, I say I probably have about 200 total unread books in my house, including all of the unread books on my Kindle. I think I should do an inventory!


Tell me about a book you've read more than three times?

Besides Outlander? J I’ve gone back to The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell at least 3 or 4 times so far, and every time I find something new to appreciate. It’s a science fiction book that is also a beautiful look at friendships, faith, and what it means to be a good person. Whenever I read it, it breaks my heart all over again and makes me think – two signs that this is a book with impact.


What’s your idea of book heaven or book hell?

Great question!

Book heaven: A big comfy chair, a never ending supply of new and exciting books, and all the time I could ever want to read them all. Preferably with snacks and coffee appearing by my elbow so I never have to look up or go make myself something to eat. 

Book hell: Being trapped forever with only airport books… or being in a room full of the best books in the world, but also having TVs blaring and people talking loudly right next to me at all times.


Where is your favourite reading place?

At home, my favorite reading place is on my back porch on a sunny day! The best place I’ve ever read a book was sitting on a rock in a meadow at Yosemite National Park while on a camping trip. I was reading Outlander for the first time in one of the most beautiful places on earth, and it was perfect.


What has been your favourite book of the year...so far ?

Only one? That’s too hard! So far in 2015, my favorite book for adults was Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, my favorite young adult novel was Winger by Andrew Smith, and my favorite re-read was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.



Find Lisa here :

Book Shelf Fantasies
Twitter @reader_bsf



My thanks to Lisa for giving so generously of her time


Jaffa and I love reading your blog.


Long may it continue.





~***~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Jo and Jaffa! I always love reading your blog, and I feel honored to have been included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking part Lisa - Jaffa and I are very impressed with Book Shelf Fantasies. And it's always great to have another Outlander fan on the blog !!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.