Thursday 7 July 2011

My latest review book is Deliverance from Evil by Frances Hill

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
jaffa's rating 3paws



Deliverance from Evil is a meticulously researched and intricately written fictional account of the Salem witch trials of 1692. The author, historian, Frances Hill, has used her expert knowledge to bring to life a town steeped in superstition, and grievous rumour.

The story opens with two girls playing at fortune telling, they little realise what repercussions their actions will have, as soon an evil miasma pervades the town, and friends and neighbours are betrayed and subjected to horrific speculation.

Initially, I found the book difficult to read, there are an abundance of characters, and trying to place them within the story becomes a bit tedious, so much so, I nearly gave up. Not liking to admit defeat I continued, and found that the book started to become more interesting about half way through, and from then on I enjoyed it. I’ve read a few novels about the Salem witch trials, and whilst this isn’t up there with my favourites, I can acknowledge that the author certainly knows her subject very well, and has recounted the story in a different and slightly more academic way.


I have reviewed this book for http://www.newbooksmag.com/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.