Friday 6 September 2013

Book Beginnings on Fridays...


Hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader

Book Beginnings on Fridays as stated by the host was started:

 "to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires."

You can share on Google + and social media , please post using the hash tag #BookBeginningsand there's also a Mr Linky on the host's blog.




Book Beginning : The Affair by Gill Paul


17302109
Published May 23
AVON



A bit of book blurb from Goodreads
A passionate, tender and captivating story of glamour, infidelity and love, behind the scenes of the most iconic Hollywood movie ever made
Rome 1961. The cameras roll on the film set of Cleopatra and the explosive Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton love affair is about to capture the world’s attention.
When Diana Bailey begins work as a historical advisor, tensions are running high. The film is in financial crisis and a media storm is brewing over the Taylor-Burton relationship.
Diana adjusts to a new life away from her troubled marriage, and strikes up a close friendship with Helen, a young make-up artist, as well as seeking solace in Ernesto, a charismatic member of the film crew. But Helen is harbouring a dark secret - one that will affect Diana in more ways than she could ever imagine…
An enthralling story of love and passion, set against the stunning backdrop of one of the most iconic Hollywood movies ever made.

***

Ischia, June 1962

The sun hadn't risen yet but a glow was reflected in the eastern sky and the steely Mediterranean was beginning to lighten. An elderly  fisherman sat on a wooden bench, struggling to knot frayed ends of a broken net. He liked the stillness of the hour before dawn. the air was uncannily quiet: ;no breeze, no birdsong, no hum of insects , just the regular shushing of waves...

I've always been fascinated by the movie version of Cleopatra, not just because of the explosive love affair between Burton and Taylor, but also because the setting of the film in Rome just seems so romantic.....

I know that the film was probably one of the most disastrous movies of all time - in terms of production costs and time wasted but it will be interesting to see how a novel set during that time pans out...... 


Do tell me what you think, either of the book if you've read it, or share your thoughts on the movie...






12 comments:

  1. Loved this novel. A top read for 2013.
    I love the old films and this was very interesting.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - I love old films too :)
      Thanks for sending me the book to read !!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good read, and I love the cover. Puts me in mind of another recent book with the movie Cleopatra as part of the plot: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/09/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Catherine that there are similarities with Beautiful Ruins. Its a lovely cover -really draws you into the book :)

      Delete
  3. Love the cover! *loves books set in Italy* The premise of the novel sounds really interesting, I think I have it on my want-to-read list...Happy reading! :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lianne - the cover is a real winner, isn't it... and Italy - what's not to like ...lol !

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this one but after reading the blurb I must add it to my list! The cover art is also beautiful. I think watching the movie would be the perfect combination after reading this book. Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is appealing to so many of you - glad I chose it as my BB this week !

      Delete
  5. Ooh, this one is going on my list! I like the sound of it...thanks for sharing; and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Laurel - glad you like my BB choice :)

      Delete
  6. Loving everything about this: the cover, the story, the snippets! Going on the soon-to-topple TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking at my BB - so pleased you like my choice :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.