Tuesday 17 September 2013

Beyond Excited ....



My love for all things Outlandish is no great surprise, and I am beyond excited at the prospect of this fabulous series of books being brought to life on the television screen by the STARZ production company. 


Embedded image permalink


My love for the books started in 1991,when I borrowed Cross Stitch from my library, and by page 100, I was hooked and devoured the book in a couple of days. When I finished the story of Jamie and Claire Fraser, I did what I have never done before, I turned the book - and it's huge - back to the beginning and read the whole story again. So reluctant was I to return the book and to let Jamie and Claire out of my life that I kept hold of the library copy until I was forced to give it back.

It's hard to imagine pre-internet days, but, in the intervening years ,whenever I inquired of this author in the UK book stores, I was always met with blank stares and a data base which revealed nothing, zilch, nada ....

So, imagine my excitement in 1994, when I spotted a mass market paperback version of Voyager by Diana Gabaldon in WHS, well, my cup literally runneth over....the book data base showed that Ms. Gabaldon had indeed kept her promise, made at the end of Cross Stitch, to write a trilogy,and in the time it took for the store assistant to a click a couple of buttons, I had purchased Voyager, and had placed orders for both Cross Stitch, and the second book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber.

It took a supreme effort of will not to start reading Voyager before I had my hands on a copy of the first two books, but I managed it by locking the book away in a cupboard.... although I did have a sneaky look at the first sentence and breathed a huge sigh of relief. Those who are familiar with the books will understand why .....

And now we are twenty years on , the story goes from strength to strength and rather than the trilogy first promised, the series is now into book 7, with the 8th book - Written In My Own Heart's Blood expected in March 2014. The STARZ television production is well under way, with filming due to start in Scotland this Autumn.

19425258


So, we now have our Jamie and Claire, and a whole host of other talented actors and actresses who will endeavour to bring this story to life...as I said...I am beyond excited.



My own copies of the books are now so well thumbed that I felt it was time, by necessity, to replace my original copy of Dragonfly in Amber, which, as you can see, is rapidly falling apart.


From This ...





To this ...


To This...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.