Sunday 30 October 2011

Halloween Read.....


Headline
2011



It's the weekend, and the weather, for curling up by a roaring fire in order to read a spooky ghost story...this year to celebrate Halloween,  I  have decided to go for the mostly aptly named book in my arsenal....a book about Witches, Daemons and Vampires - what could be better.

When historian Diana Bishop opens an alchemical manuscript in the Bodleian Library, it's an unwelcome intrusion of magic into her carefully ordered life. Though Diana is a witch of impeccable lineage, the violent deaths of her parents while she was still a child convinced her that human fear is more potent than any witchcraft. Now Diana has unwittingly exposed herself to a world she's kept at bay for years-one of powerful witches, creative, destructive daemons and long lived vampires. Sensing the significance of Diana's discovery, the creatures gather in Oxford,among them enigmatic Matthew Clairmont, a vampire geneticist. Diana is inexplicably drawn towards Matthew and in the shadowy world of half truths and old enmities, ties herself to him without fully understanding the ancient line they are crossing. As they begin to unlock the secrets of the manuscript and their feelings for each pother deepen, so the fragile balance of peace unravels.....

I'll add my thoughts when I've finished reading and as it's quite a hefty book - it may take me the whole of Halloween to get through it.



HAPPY HALLOWEEN 





📖 My Halloween Read 2011 ðŸ“–

Research historian Diana Bishop is a witch from a long line of esteemed witches, and yet she refuses to use her skills. Whilst researching ancient documents in Oxford's Bodleian Library, she unwittingly unleashes the power of Ashmole 782 an ancient alchemical manuscript. But once unleashed, the catalytic effect of this ancient document will turn Diana's well ordered life upside down.

Meticulously researched, Deborah Harkness has created a world within a world, which is believable and utterly compelling to read.

I loved it, and can't wait until book two is published in 2012.


~****~


2 comments:

  1. Oh I didn't realise it was a Trilogy. Everything seems to be one these days! I bought the hardback ages ago but it's so big it's putting me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie - I know what you mean about the size of the book- I have the hardback copy too, and I put off reading it simply because it was soooo heavy..!
    It's a crackling good read though, and I hope the Trilogy maintains the same standard..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.