Sunday 28 August 2011

Quirky Questions....





Little Sunday book mutterings...



Hardback or Paperback?

There are some books that I like to collect in hardback - I have some beautiful classic hardbacks which I keep fairly pristine, and there are selected authors whose work I collect in hardback - Philippa Gregory and Karen Maitland are the two most eagerly awaited - their books have beautiful covers.

And I would kill to get my hands on the complete Diana Gabaldon back list in hardback - I have the first three books in paperback, and they are literally falling apart - although thanks to Santa USA - I did get a copy of Outlander in large format paperback last year.

BUT - generally I'm a paperback sort of girl.....they're easy to carry around, easy to read -so long as the print's not too tiny - and easy to bundle up in the post to give to friends !



Treebook or ebook?

This is a difficult one because I have shelves fit to burst with paper books, and yet I also really love my Kindle - it was the best Christmas gift ever - I think that there's room in the world for both and would hate to see the demise of paper books and traditional book sellers - that's why I support both options. There's nothing better than the sights, sounds and smell of a really good book shop.....but then one click ordering on Amazon is just so easy !!




Buy or Swap?

I have a foot in both camps here - I love buying books for myself, and as gifts for my book minded friends - I also pick up books in charity shops whenever I can, but my main love is swapping books and I have been an active member of readitswapit since 2006, and have swapped over 450 books - I've also made some good friends in the process and have had the pleasure of giving my books away to people who will love them as much as I did.

Since 2009 I am been a bookmoocher - using BookMooch I have continued to send my books to fellow bibliophiles -using this site enables my books to travel all around the world, they have been sent far and wide-as far the Philippines...

or more recently - a mooch conducted on my own doorstep with a fellow moocher who lived 2 miles away.

I also act as a bookmooch angel and send hard to get books overseas.....



It's amazing to think that books have the power to unite so many people.,

BOOKS MAY WELL BE THE ONLY TRUE MAGIC - Alice Hoffman



~***~





















1 comment:

  1. Love it

    I prefer paperbacks because as you said easier to send, carry around etc. I also find my wrist gets sore when reading for long periods with a hardback

    Treebook wins everytime with me. I love my kindle and it means I can take hundreds on books on holiday with me and not worry about the weight. I alos have so many new authors via reviews and ebooks so I love that but I will always pick treebooks first everytime.

    I buy and swap possibly the same, maybe buy more recently as I haven't swapped in a while and I have mooched a few recently.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.